Thursday, November 20, 2008

Nokia N96


Nokia just sent me one of their new N96 video phones to try out, so I'll be putting it through its paces over the next few weeks. Look for some impromptu footage here on the blog as well as on the Nokia viNe site. So far, it looks like a pretty capable device for both still and video work on the fly. It's a little on the big/heavy side for a phone, but if the picture quality is what I expect the extra heft will be worth it: 5 megapixel camera with built in flash and video lights, Carl Zeiss lens, digital zoom, and it shoots MP4 video at up to 30 frames per second VGA. This is all married to a full-featured multi-media device that combines a digital media player, live TV, and web/e-mail connectivity with built-in wireless internet, true GPS, and all the features you'd expect in a top-notch phone. The key will be living with it to see if the integration truly works. I'm hoping it does, as it could be the first device that would allow me to replace a Flip-type camcorder, GPS, and smart phone with one fairly small unit that's with me all the time.

No comments: